Koichi Tohei - "Aikido With Ki" + Aiki News / Aikido Journal Back-issue DVD ($29.95)
Strict Standards: mktime(): You should be using the time() function instead in /home/ab2397/public_html/catalog/productdetails.php on line 250
Where did the aikido we practice today come from? A man who played a critical role in the gestation of modern aikido is Koichi Tohei. Today, Tohei Sensei is a forgotten name in many quarters, surely an unconscionable omission. Through his many books in both Japanese and English, and his extensive travels in Japan and the USA, Tohei Sensei left a permanent mark on the content and pedagogy of aikido during the postwar period.
For this week’s Aikido Journal special, we offer the first and only DVD to cover the topic of Koichi Tohei’s many contributions and activities to the early spread of aikido. This DVD also explores the preparatory exercises and basic techniques developed by Tohei Sensei aimed at developing the use of ki in aikido. The highlight of the program is a lengthy section featuring rare footage of a seminar taught by Tohei Sensei in his prime.
The second product you will receive as a bonus in this special is a one-of-a-kind DVD containing thousands of pages of magazine articles covering every aspect of aikido. It features the entire contents of Aiki News / Aikido Journal published over two-and-one-half decades in easy-to-access PDF format.
This archive contains the most complete collection available of documents on all aspects of Aikido, Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, and other Japanese martial arts. It includes hundreds of articles, interviews, essays, and events replete with thousands of photos.
Aiki News—later renamed Aikido Journal—began as a small newsletter first published in 1974 and eventually grew into one of the most respected magazines dedicated to Aikido.
- 26 years of back issues of Aiki News / Aikido Journal
- More than 4,300 page scans in resizable format
- Each issue presented in Acrobat PDF format with article links
- Special Bonus: 4-hour audio lecture on Aikido history by Editor-in-chief Stanley Pranin
- Added Bonus: Complete Encyclopedia of Aikido written by Aikido Journal Editor Stanley Pranin published in 1991 presented in PDF format. 238 pages including hundreds of biographies and terms, a dojo directory, chronology of Morihei Ueshiba, and a subject bibliography
Click here to view a thumbnail index of all magazine issues.
Please note that the links on this sample page are not functional.
This DVD product is for viewing on a computer with installed DVD-ROM player and contains files in the Acrobat PDF format. The audio files are in Windows Media File (wmf) format and can be listened to on virtually any computer using a Windows operating system.
Breakthrough DVD featuring Aikido’s first 10th dan in his prime!
Koichi Tohei is one of the most important figures in the postwar development of aikido. He played a pivotal role in spreading the art in Japan and the USA from the early 1950s through the mid-1970s. Tohei traveled abroad on numerous occasions during his active years conducting seminars and demonstrations. He is also a prolific author, having published many works in Japanese and English. His publications had a strong influence both technically and philosophically on early aikido practitioners.
- Documentary: a presentation tracing the early life and aikido background of Koichi Tohei through his years as Chief Instructor of the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, through his establishment of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido in 1974. Many historical photos capture the highlights of Tohei Sensei’s stellar career and explain why his efforts and accomplishments have left such an indelible imprint on modern aikido.
- Warmups and preparatory exercises: this section presents the elaborate warmups and exercise system developed by Tohei Sensei as a prelude to training in aikido techniques. They emphasize stability, relaxation, and the proper use of ki.
- Techniques: a presentation of the technical curriculum taught by Tohei Sensei during the 1950s, 60s, and early 70s, during his tenure at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo. Tohei Sensei demonstrates most of his “50 Arts of Aikido” from a 1967 film.
- Seminar: nearly 40 minutes of rare film footage of a 1974 seminar conducted by Tohei Sensei in San Francisco. Scores of techniques from his curriculum are clearly demonstrated. This historical film has been digitally remastered for the highest possible image quality.
- Demonstrations: bonus footage of four demonstrations by Tohei Sensei: 1952 demonstration outdoors, also featuring Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Tadashi Abe; 1967 All-Japan Aikido Demonstration; 1968 Special Demonstration at Hombu Dojo; 1973 All-Japan Aikido Demonstration.
Order Online or Call +1-702-897-9507 (9am to 6pm PST)
2Checkout.com, Inc. is an authorized retailer of Aikido Journal Online
Order online using our secure server. Alternatively, call 1-702-897-9507 or send check or money orders to our US service center:Aikido Journal
452 E. Silverado Ranch Blvd. #361
Las Vegas, Nevada 89183
United States of America
Product Questions? Ordering Problems? Please call 1-702-897-9507 or contact us via the web.
All prices listed are in US currency. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards are accepted. Please provide card holder name, number & expiry date, address, telephone number and e-mail address. Also accepted are US$ checks or bank drafts drawn on a USA bank or US currency.
Aikido Journal is an Operation of Hirameki LP